Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Olympic Preparations, Patriotism, and Fishing

I was just a boy when the Olympics made a visit to my fellow Southern city of Atlanta back in '96, but I think my recollections are correct. The number of Olympic preparation projects undertaken in Beijing is remarkable and dwarfs the efforts by previous host cities.

The district I live in (Champing) is host to a few events, most notably triathlon, and also a few other cycling events I believe. But if I hadn't seen the rest of Beijing, I would certainly think Champing has a larger role than this. The parks have been restored (or maybe created at the expense of shantytowns), public art projects have been undertaken, and now, just a week before the games kick off, a massive landscaping project is being completed.

This is in an Olympic-themed square in central Champing. Security, including xray, had to be passed to enter.
Security is tight in Beijing, subways and many public areas require passing a security checkpoint. And from what I have heard from students (mostly indirectly though) many truly fear a terrorist attack from Tibetan militants.

One of many landscaping projects just recently completed.


A really out-of-place garden gnome in the middle of it all.


I trip to a downtown mall revealed more Olympic fever and some patriotism-- this time at the Nike Store.

Famous Chinese hurdler Liu Xiang 刘翔。They love this guy. All of my students know of him and are shocked when I don't. I guess he won gold in Greece.
That's what I'm talkin' about! Representin' the US of A is Mr. Lebron James. Just so happens to be my favorite player (all my students ask who my favorite is so I had to choose one). I was reprimanded by security for taking this photo.
Patriotic Horse.

The following photos are from a park right in the middle of Beijing.



I really like this one. These kids are fishing with some 2 liter bottles they have fashioned into fish traps. Basically a big hole in the top and some small ones in the bottom to drain the water but keep the fish, and a little bit of bait tied inside.






2 comments:

Nick Bohnenkamp said...

Sweet photo of the shrub bike man. Way to represent. I'm sure the shrub car was just too big to photograph.

SaraJayne said...

Why is your hair so long, mountain man?