Monday, August 18, 2008

Badminton and other favorite sports

A fellow foreign teacher was able to score us some tickets to some Olympic matches. First up was Badminton. Security was pretty thorough although somewhat theatrical as well. The venue was packed with Olympic Volunteers who were among the most polite people I have ever met. On our way out of the stadium one said, "Thank you very much for coming." I responded with, "Thanks for welcoming us to your country." He seemed surprised but also beamed a bit. The educated people in China are extremely polite, hospitable, and just all-around friendly. All the volunteers fall into this category. Unfortunately, I have witnessed a few white people being somewhat patronizing toward them and getting frustrated by their own ignorance of Chinese characters.

Inside the Badminton arena. Three games were going at a time. It seemed to be very distracting to the other two matches when the Chinese would score a point and the crowd would erupt.




Me, looking like I have conquered something.

The venue form outside. A very nice building. (I used a tripod and 1 sec shutter speed to get this)

It was also nice that the Chinese didn't mark up the prices on the food. A Snickers was 75 US cents and a Coke about 95 US cents-- maybe a 10% increase from outside.

A few days later, Laurel and I made it to the Birds Nest for the first day of Track and Field. We were a little late and missed Walter Dix (an FSU athlete) run the 100m prelims but we still say some great races.

Some solar panels on top of the gates outside the Bird's Nest.






I found these fellow US Americans outside and had to grab photo with them.

It is more remarkable in real life. It is definitely one of the most magnificent structures I have ever seen, maybe second only to the Golden Gate.



2 comments:

CHRISandBETH said...

you shaved your beard! how can you be barba roja without a barba??

Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks for directing me to your blog! I enjoyed reading it, especially the story about your Chinese friends editing your grammar to make it more confrontational. You seem to be doing a good job of approaching setbacks with levity and seeking out the adventure that lies before you. It was good meeting you and your friends last night.

I am starting a blog from China right now as well. If you want to read it, you can look me up on MySpace or Facebook (Shane Stamschror or danke_shane) or you can shoot me an email at danke_shane@yahoo.com and I will put you on my email list. If you wanna hang out again sometime, you can call me at 13439997550. Again, it was great to meet you last night and I wish you many adventures and stories as you continue on your travels.

Shane